Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Daddy's Roommate


Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

Daddy's Roommate is about a little boy whose parents just got a divorce and now his father has a new partner. This partner however, is another man and we learn about how his father has taken on a new homosexual relationship. THe book goes through everything the boy experiences with his dad and his friend, which turns out to be just about everything a heterosexual couple would run into or experience together. I can definitely see where this book is controversial and a lot of families may not want their children reading but my thoughts about it are the same as every other book I have read. I think it is a great tool to help children understand this type of relationship and how it is the different from their parents or how it can be the same in many ways. I do believe that it would be better to allow parents to share this book with their children rather than reading it aloud in a classroom, but that would only be to steer away from the controversy that it would cause with some parents. It would be a great book for children of all ages.

1 comment:

  1. Homosexuality is such a controversial topic. I think it's more the fear of the 'unknown' than anything else. I enjoyed your review of this book, and I appreciate your positive attitude on such a controversial issue. I agree that this book shouldn't be hidden away behind closed doors, however, like you mentioned, it may also be more acceptable if it's read behind the doors of a child's home rather than in a classroom. Perhaps, over time, homosexuality will be just as accepted in today's society as heterosexuality currently is.

    ReplyDelete